AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AE101 Owners Club is a group of 7th gen Corolla enthusiasts from all over the world. If you're a fellow enthusiast, then join us today!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» fog lights for a ae 101
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 am by jorpakko

» WTB: AE101 Levin Body Parts - front and rear
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 2:26 am by motorsportbd

» My 96 wagon
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyMon May 15, 2023 6:13 am by emmet.harten3

» E10 corolla wagon / estate wind deflectors wanted
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:32 am by emmet.harten3

» wind deflectors for e10 estate / bz touring top spoiler
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:30 am by emmet.harten3

» genuine oem moulded Mud flaps
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:29 am by emmet.harten3

» Wanted gxi/20v front bumper for e10 corolla
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am by emmet.harten3

» AE101 arm rest
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 1:30 am by emmet.harten3

» Marvin the ZZE122 Wagon
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 pm by gold94corolla

» 7AGE Blacktop
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 pm by gold94corolla

» RARE JDM OEM PARTS
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 am by prnguy

» Te1 jumper to E1 wont flash codes
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 1:44 pm by kaitaiya

» AE101 Crotch Vent Install
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 pm by gold94corolla

» Ae 100 1993 Windscreen issue
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

» I'M FROM MALAYSIA. HELLO COROLLA AE101/AE111 WORLDWIDE LOVERS!
Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 316 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am
Top posters
miib14 (7382)
Interesting Decisions at Work I_vote_lcapInteresting Decisions at Work I_voting_barInteresting Decisions at Work I_vote_rcap 
gold94corolla (5234)
Interesting Decisions at Work I_vote_lcapInteresting Decisions at Work I_voting_barInteresting Decisions at Work I_vote_rcap 
SHEHROZE ARAIN (1783)
MirrorEyes (1540)
magweal (1403)
Sgt_Lyna (1243)
Kiwi-Corolla (1218)
knite (1102)
Corolla Sound (1102)
Argew24 (1053)
Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 4025 registered users
The newest registered user is JerseyRolla97

Our users have posted a total of 42623 messages in 3011 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Please Donate to the Site
Like Us On Facebook!
Most Viewed Topics
The Photography Thread
93-97 corolla optional extras & OEM Features
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
★ The AE-202 Project ★
Levin SS Twinpots on Stock E10 Mac Hub
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
Club Shirt (pending). interested?
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Lexus IS300
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Most active topics
★ The AE-202 Project ★
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Lexus IS300
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Project ce100 rises
Rachids XLi to GLTSJDMi+ project
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
KennyDang91's Corolla 95 (Warning: Tons of pics on page 1)
Daves Corolla
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Interesting Decisions at Work

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jay93FXGT
jay93FXGT

Interesting Decisions at Work Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:52 am

Come on, we all have employers that make them...

So I was feeling pretty good, thinking "Fuck yes, the router installs for all of OPSM NZ will start soon, and I'll be busy as fuck!" When I got a response from the project manager that now leads me to believe I'll be far fucking busier than need be and it may be a bit of a headache. xD Still looking forward to it, but instead of starting at the top of NZ and working our way down in an orderly fashion from town to town so I can use my own transportation and they just have to pay travel and accomodation, I've been told "Yes, that's a good idea, but I'm not in control of the scheduling for the stores. Will let you know what happens." Okay, cool, so basically "That's a great idea, but you'll probably be back and forth from random city to random city probably with air fare and expensive rental due to you being under 25 which may make you completely unviable for some of the away jobs, forcing us to go back to that idiot Jason and his worthless techs whose stores you've been fixing since you arrived in NZ."

Sweet.... Well, I guess at least it means the contract will take longer and I'll (hopefully) get paid more than I would otherwise....

But seriously, project management, dafuq? Why we no do things sensibly?!
Back to top Go down
magweal
New Zealand Rep
New Zealand Rep
magweal

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Haha sounds like fun
Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:09 pm

lol!
i know the feeling mate, sometimes its not easy getting through to the manager, they dont want to listen to others, or they listen but dont want to do it that way even though its easier lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
jay93FXGT
jay93FXGT

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyTue May 14, 2013 11:18 pm

It's not the manager, it's the client. xD The manager and I go way back, he's the one that sacked my old boss after we had a falling out and hired me direct instead of keeping me as a sub-contractor. To be fair though, my ex-employer had a tendency to try and force people to do things his way and had a ridiculously high revisit rate so they were already looking to replace him, but didn't have a viable alternative as yet. xD

You see, there's about 3 project managers per project. One is ours, one is the clients, and one is some fucker that needs to back off and let the people that know what they're doing do it instead of forcing his way onto them. xD

But then again, we get this all the time in IT... xD They hire us coz we know what we're doing, then insist on doing it their way when we advise against it. *shrug*

The problem is that even though there's a certain way it should be done to maximise efficiency and keep costs down, the guy sitting up the top giving orders is looking at the bottom line going "But this store gets us lots of money, so it's most important and has to be done first, even though it's isolated. And next will be the one at the other end of the country, then come back down this side again. Kthx."

Last edited by jay93FXGT on Wed May 15, 2013 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jay93FXGT
jay93FXGT

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:05 am

So, I did some quick Sunny Day Scenario calculations in my head (those days where everything goes smoothly with very few complications at work - i.e any router install I'm on) and we're looking at about 100 OPSM's in NZ. So let's assume they all get the upgrade. I can do one in 1h (accounting for reprogramming it up to 3 times) and a total of one hours travel between sites. This means 4 a day during their normal trading hours, 7 days a week. 28 routers a week installed.

If we did it my way, I could do the entirety of the NZ stores by myself within a month. And given the fact that I did 80% of the router installs in QLD, Australia, last year, and trained the guys that did the rest, that means I've done about 40 of them before. There's never once been a revisit to any of my sites, so you can write off any after-project revisit costs. Hell, I've installed routers before they even had the connection running to it, so no means of testing it, and they still came out perfect. It's not rocket science.

It just doesn't make sense to do it any other way.... The other crowd they used to go through in NZ had an average of 5 revisits per site. I mean, come on. The only way they could be that bad was if they were deliberately setting up for revisits.
Back to top Go down
magweal
New Zealand Rep
New Zealand Rep
magweal

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyWed May 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Can I ask who you work for?
Back to top Go down
jay93FXGT
jay93FXGT

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:12 am

IMI-Solutions pty ltd, but I've also been luxottica's (opsm, sunglass hut) lead technician for over a year now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Decisions at Work   Interesting Decisions at Work Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting Decisions at Work
Page 1 of 1