AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AE101 Owners Club is a group of 7th gen Corolla enthusiasts from all over the world. If you're a fellow enthusiast, then join us today!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» fog lights for a ae 101
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 am by jorpakko

» WTB: AE101 Levin Body Parts - front and rear
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 2:26 am by motorsportbd

» My 96 wagon
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon May 15, 2023 6:13 am by emmet.harten3

» E10 corolla wagon / estate wind deflectors wanted
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:32 am by emmet.harten3

» wind deflectors for e10 estate / bz touring top spoiler
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:30 am by emmet.harten3

» genuine oem moulded Mud flaps
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:29 am by emmet.harten3

» Wanted gxi/20v front bumper for e10 corolla
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am by emmet.harten3

» AE101 arm rest
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 1:30 am by emmet.harten3

» Marvin the ZZE122 Wagon
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 pm by gold94corolla

» 7AGE Blacktop
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 pm by gold94corolla

» RARE JDM OEM PARTS
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 am by prnguy

» Te1 jumper to E1 wont flash codes
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 1:44 pm by kaitaiya

» AE101 Crotch Vent Install
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 pm by gold94corolla

» Ae 100 1993 Windscreen issue
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

» I'M FROM MALAYSIA. HELLO COROLLA AE101/AE111 WORLDWIDE LOVERS!
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 316 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am
Top posters
miib14 (7382)
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_vote_lcapATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_voting_barATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_vote_rcap 
gold94corolla (5234)
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_vote_lcapATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_voting_barATTENTION silver top and black top owners I_vote_rcap 
SHEHROZE ARAIN (1783)
MirrorEyes (1540)
magweal (1403)
Sgt_Lyna (1243)
Kiwi-Corolla (1218)
knite (1102)
Corolla Sound (1102)
Argew24 (1053)
Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 4025 registered users
The newest registered user is JerseyRolla97

Our users have posted a total of 42623 messages in 3011 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Please Donate to the Site
Like Us On Facebook!
Most Viewed Topics
The Photography Thread
93-97 corolla optional extras & OEM Features
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
★ The AE-202 Project ★
Levin SS Twinpots on Stock E10 Mac Hub
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
Club Shirt (pending). interested?
Lexus IS300
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Most active topics
★ The AE-202 Project ★
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Lexus IS300
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Project ce100 rises
Rachids XLi to GLTSJDMi+ project
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
KennyDang91's Corolla 95 (Warning: Tons of pics on page 1)
Daves Corolla
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

ATTENTION silver top and black top owners

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

ATTENTION silver top and black top owners Empty
PostSubject: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

hi guys how are u hope u all are well

i have recently been offered a 4age silver top engine in very good condition complete with gear.ac compressor,power steering,wiring on a very reasonable price lets say its costing half of the 4afe i was going for........

i have some questions for this engine

first
is it reliable
is reduction of some oil in this engine normal
does it make little sound of tappets when idle
and will fitting black top wiring on it cause problems
and how to recodnize that the engine is fine
if compression test is done what should be the result which makes it a good engine
and are their any cons in it

your share of experiences would be very much appreciated thank u

Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 pm

SHEHROZE ARAIN wrote:
hi guys how are u hope u all are well

i have recently been offered a 4age silver top engine in very good condition complete with gear.ac compressor,power steering,wiring on a very reasonable price lets say its costing half of the 4afe i was going for........

i have some questions for this engine

first
is it reliable
is reduction of some oil in this engine normal
does it make little sound of tappets when idle
and will fitting black top wiring on it cause problems
and how to recodnize that the engine is fine
if compression test is done what should be the result which makes it a good engine
and are their any cons in it

your share of experiences would be very much appreciated thank u

Loss of oil - yes but not much at all.. If you use a low grade oil it will use more.. I run 10w40 Fully synthetic Rock Oil (made for motorcycles) and now compared to using car oil mine doesnt use anything at all

Tappet sound is fine, you just need to get the head re-shimmed if it annoys you that much... otherwise its fine

Yes it will run on blacktop wiring loom and ecu

Compression test it - you should get results between 185-195.. Allow up to 15psi difference between cylinders but really you wouldnt want more than 5 or 10

Cons of a silvertop... fuel efficiency? lol nah only thing is you cant run open stacks unless you convert to map from the blacktop.. but seeing as your getting blacktop loom you may be ok Very Happy
Back to top Go down
magweal
New Zealand Rep
New Zealand Rep
magweal

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm guessing you've heard the engine running??
Just what Richard said although to running the BT loom you will need the MAP sensor as you'll lose the AFM (which is a good thing imo). That of course means open trumpets but if you do that you'll have to retune the ECU as it's designed to use the air boxs.
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 pm

thank u richard bro and yes im getting black top loom what is the difference in afm and map
and ill mopstly run it on gas because our petrol makes it knock alot and is it harmful the knocking

Cons of a silvertop... fuel efficiency? lol nah only thing is you cant run open stacks unless you convert to map from the blacktop.. but seeing as your getting blacktop loom you may be ok

I'm guessing you've heard the engine running??
Just what Richard said although to running the BT loom you will need the MAP sensor as you'll lose the AFM (which is a good thing imo). That of course means open trumpets but if you do that you'll have to retune the ECU as it's designed to use the air boxs.

i havent heard the engine running just seen videos of that
how map is better than afm plzz elabourate as i am new to silver top
and how hard will the wiring be inside the dash
and what are the trumpets and how would i retune the ecu
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm

you cant retune the ecu, you need to get standalone if you would like to mess around with it.. look into tomie poncams as they are a drop in upgrade and work with everything standard..

here is a 3sge with stacks:

ATTENTION silver top and black top owners Tyler-stacks1
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 12:51 am

should i go for it.its either this
or a 4afe or 7afe

and could tapit noise be reduced to make it like a silent engine
and is this engine reliable and what is done in shimming
over here shim means to add a thin copper to the gasket where the piston holes are
Back to top Go down
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
gold94corolla

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 am

The silver/black top is way more powerful.
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 am

there are metal "shims" on each valve, which are different sizes and they wear so create a tapping noise (BT/ST do not actually have tappits Razz)
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 3:58 am

so how are these shims made or created and or repaired i need alot of info on this engine if i want to make the swap
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 am

you have to buy a set of shims and a mechanic would have to fit them
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 am

could u explain shims plz if its not a problem

and thank u for all the info given till now richard bro
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 5:41 am

from wiki:

A valve shim is a disc of hardened metal of precisely calibrated height used to adjust the clearance (US:lash) between the back side of the cam-lobe and the valve on which it operates where the cam-lobe operates directly on the valve without an intermediate rocker arm. The shim sits atop a shim bucket which itself sits atop the valve-stem and moves up and down within a machined bore. While hydraulically self adjusting valves are sometimes used for their lack of required adjustment they do not work well in engines capable of high RPMs. In situations like these shims are most often used. As an example most motorcycle engines capable of 8000RPM+ use shim adjustable valves.

20v 4age has solid shims

Shims
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners Avalveshims4-c

Buckets:
ATTENTION silver top and black top owners Attachment
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 am

this the same type of tappet setup in diesals right.its called auto tappet here

Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 am

richardc9052 wrote:
you cant retune the ecu, you need to get standalone if you would like to mess around with it.. look into tomie poncams as they are a drop in upgrade and work with everything standard..

you just could help yourself could you Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 am

miib14 wrote:
richardc9052 wrote:

you just could help yourself could you Razz
you might be buying a set of very expensive itb's with a free car attatched Wink
Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 am

hahaha i dont know maybe
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 pm

so the st with black top wiring is it good compared to

4afe and 7afe in overall

and ps the 7afe and 4afe are worth more here because of high demand

Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:02 pm

SHEHROZE ARAIN wrote:
so the st with black top wiring is it good compared to

4afe and 7afe in overall

and ps the 7afe and 4afe are worth more here because of high demand

4AGE is 10000000000000000x better lol

Yep, a ST with blacktop ecu and loom is good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm

how does a ST COST OVER THERE WITH 5 SPEED GEAR AC COMPRESSOR POWER STERRING PUMP ECU AND BT WIRING

Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 pm

engine, loom ecu, probably arouin £500
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 5:23 am

im getting for 450 Smile

will have to check the engine personally though

in december hopefully i will going to check that and have the compression tests i that is a fine engine its mine if not i might as well bring home a 4afe
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 am

SHEHROZE ARAIN wrote:
im getting for 450 Smile

will have to check the engine personally though

in december hopefully i will going to check that and have the compression tests i that is a fine engine its mine if not i might as well bring home a 4afe
i wonder how expensive it would be to ship an engine?
Back to top Go down
SHEHROZE ARAIN
Pakistan Rep
Pakistan Rep
SHEHROZE ARAIN

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 5:31 am

50 to 60 bucks if its not to heavy i might remove the front seat and put it there its done most of the time Smile

and thank for shedding that much light bro really appreciate it
Back to top Go down
richardc9052
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
richardc9052

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 am

SHEHROZE ARAIN wrote:
50 to 60 bucks if its not to heavy i might remove the front seat and put it there its done most of the time Smile

and thank for shedding that much light bro really appreciate it

i meant from ireland/ england.. Razz

Ahh no problem man, i like to help when i can Very Happy
Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 6:29 am

shouldnt be tooo much,
we can hire a van, go across and buy afew Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ATTENTION silver top and black top owners   ATTENTION silver top and black top owners Empty

Back to top Go down

ATTENTION silver top and black top owners
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next