AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register
AE101 Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AE101 Owners Club is a group of 7th gen Corolla enthusiasts from all over the world. If you're a fellow enthusiast, then join us today!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» fog lights for a ae 101
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 am by jorpakko

» WTB: AE101 Levin Body Parts - front and rear
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 2:26 am by motorsportbd

» My 96 wagon
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon May 15, 2023 6:13 am by emmet.harten3

» E10 corolla wagon / estate wind deflectors wanted
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:32 am by emmet.harten3

» wind deflectors for e10 estate / bz touring top spoiler
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:30 am by emmet.harten3

» genuine oem moulded Mud flaps
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon May 15, 2023 5:29 am by emmet.harten3

» Wanted gxi/20v front bumper for e10 corolla
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 am by emmet.harten3

» AE101 arm rest
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 1:30 am by emmet.harten3

» Marvin the ZZE122 Wagon
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 pm by gold94corolla

» 7AGE Blacktop
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 pm by gold94corolla

» RARE JDM OEM PARTS
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 am by prnguy

» Te1 jumper to E1 wont flash codes
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 1:44 pm by kaitaiya

» AE101 Crotch Vent Install
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptySat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 pm by gold94corolla

» Ae 100 1993 Windscreen issue
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

» I'M FROM MALAYSIA. HELLO COROLLA AE101/AE111 WORLDWIDE LOVERS!
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 pm by Yunmiliautoparts

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 316 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am
Top posters
miib14 (7382)
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? I_vote_lcapCar Of The Month - proposed changes? I_voting_barCar Of The Month - proposed changes? I_vote_rcap 
gold94corolla (5234)
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? I_vote_lcapCar Of The Month - proposed changes? I_voting_barCar Of The Month - proposed changes? I_vote_rcap 
SHEHROZE ARAIN (1783)
MirrorEyes (1540)
magweal (1403)
Sgt_Lyna (1243)
Kiwi-Corolla (1218)
knite (1102)
Corolla Sound (1102)
Argew24 (1053)
Top posting users this month
No user
Statistics
We have 4025 registered users
The newest registered user is JerseyRolla97

Our users have posted a total of 42623 messages in 3011 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Please Donate to the Site
Like Us On Facebook!
Most Viewed Topics
The Photography Thread
93-97 corolla optional extras & OEM Features
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
★ The AE-202 Project ★
Levin SS Twinpots on Stock E10 Mac Hub
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
Club Shirt (pending). interested?
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Lexus IS300
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Most active topics
★ The AE-202 Project ★
My 93' Corolla from New Zealand (JDM AE100)
Lexus IS300
Corolla Sound's 97 DX AE101 On-Going Project
★ The AE-202 Project (Continued) ★
Project ce100 rises
Rachids XLi to GLTSJDMi+ project
RARE JDM OEM PARTS
KennyDang91's Corolla 95 (Warning: Tons of pics on page 1)
Daves Corolla
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Car Of The Month - proposed changes?

Go down 
+3
trufauru
gold94corolla
Hiro
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hiro
Hiro

Car Of The Month - proposed changes? Empty
PostSubject: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:21 pm

NOTE: In no way is this post meant to be a case of sour grapes, envy/jealousy, tall poppy syndrome or any other biased rant, just an observation with a few polite recommendations

Now that I've been on this forum for over 18 months, I've come to notice some trends in regards to the Car Of The Month winners - mainly, it usually comes down to 1 or 2 cars just about every month, often Scott Razz.  Now that shouldn't really be a surprise, as he does have one of the best cars here, as well as pretty decent photography skills, so that means on any given month he's a decent chance to win.  But what it does mean is that those who don't win might get a bit fed up with the lack of variety - same as if the one car cleans up just about every trophy at a car show or wins the same trophy multiple years in a row; after a while you get a bit sick of seeing the same thing and you're less likely to take an interest in future shows.  Not that we should reward everyone who enters though (I despise the kindergarten mentality of "Everyone's a winner, you all get a prize!" just for entering/turning up)

Anyway, based on those observations, I am proposing the following recommendations:

1) As per this year, the Car Of The Month winners go onto a calendar for the next year - any double-ups (the proposal below should limit those) then either go to the runners up or by request if people want a particular month.

2) If a person wins a Car Of The Month contest then they are excluded from the next 3 monthly contest, as a way of introducing variety into the top banner, encouraging the not-winners (since no-one is a loser Very Happy) to go out and take more/better photos of their cars as well as giving those new to the site a greater impression of the variety of cars and owners the site encompasses (if the same 2-3 cars make up the banner all year long, it gives

3) Make the banner an animated slideshow of the winners over the course of the year (maybe with the Month mentioned as well), or maybe finding a way to still recognise the current winner but still injecting some life and variety into the banner.

4) Move away from the concept of a whole-car photography-only contest (not that it is explicitly one now, just that seems to be the dominant form of entry), or maybe try and feature modifications (and photos of said modifications) as contest entries - say a good quality photo of someone's nice shiny cold-air intake, or the paint job on a set of cam covers. Get creative, get artsy, think outside the box.
Back to top Go down
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
gold94corolla

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful ideas!  I'm always open to suggestions lol.

1) it is time to start thinking about a new calender!

2) My thought has been that the voters have the power.  I don't just pick my favorite pic... you guys vote.  So if you are sick of seeing a car over and over again, don't vote for it, right?

3)  An animated banner might be possible, like if I combined the top 2 winners in a GIF.  I might also be able to to a random pic of the top 2-4 winners, so it changes when you refresh.  I could even have a pool of pics (old pics) and the winner gets added to the pool.... of course, that would mean the old pics are always there.

4) well the idea of the pic at the top of the page is to represent the AE101 club, so the pic should be a car imo.  Now, if I was able to script the random image thing, then maybe we could slip some parts in there as well, as our visitors are most likely to see a whole car at one point in their visit lol.

I hope to hear a good discussion following!
Back to top Go down
trufauru
trufauru

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 am

I really liked the ideas that Hiro proposed, and the idea of the banner pool its great
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerzone.com.uy
kickfli12
Elite Member
Elite Member
kickfli12

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 4:58 am

i agree with the whole "it always comes down to the same couple of cars". and i too like the pool idea. its always cool to see different cars. also i like the "features" pictures as well because no 2 of us have the same exact interiors and performance mods, its a nice change of scenery. infact next month ill take a picture of something other than the entire car.
Back to top Go down
Hiro
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 am

kickfli12 wrote:
infact next month ill take a picture of something other than the entire car.
As long as it is something bigger and more identifiably AE10x than a bolt Razz
Back to top Go down
disturbedphil
disturbedphil

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:29 am

possibly as part of the banner we could have the main part being the whole car then beside that a couple smaller pics of interior or rims etc...for example.....
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? Example_zps257edf13
Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
miib14

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 am

some great ideas posted here ian, we are all open to suggestions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
Hiro
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 am

disturbedphil wrote:
possibly as part of the banner we could have the main part being the whole car then beside that a couple smaller pics of interior or rims etc...for example.....
Car Of The Month - proposed changes? Example_zps257edf13
Only downside to that I can see is where do the extra photos come from? If it was a "feature car"-style contest then maybe, but with the current setup most of us don't go out and take photos like it is a magazine photoshoot. Plus not all of us have tidy cars on the inside (I know I don't, the downside to driving it every day) Razz
Back to top Go down
kickfli12
Elite Member
Elite Member
kickfli12

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 am

but why dont you all go out like its a magazine photoshoot? hell, thats the most fun! even if youre using a cell phone you can still go crazy and come out with great pictures. in fact, ive won with a cell phone pic. but i do go out and pretend like its a magazine shoot Embarassed

lol look at the banner this month, i think thats magazine quality and anybody can do it, you just have to take your time (and i understand that we all dont have that kind of time) =)
Back to top Go down
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
gold94corolla

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 2:28 pm

^^^ lol, Mr. humble here

But you guys can make and submit your own collages like that, nothing wrong with that even in the current format!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi-Corolla
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
Kiwi-Corolla

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:40 pm

In all fairness, aside from this month, I haven't entered the competition since May Razz, and from memory I've only won once or twice in the past, so I don't really think we need to start changing the rules as even though we have repeat entrants we rarely have repeat winners.

I do however think that the photo should be judged by how well taken it is, not how appropriate it would be for the site banner or what the Corolla itself looks like. Even the most stock standard Corolla in the world could win ride of the month if they took a well composed, clear photo. I'm aware that not everyone has an expensive camera or the skills to take something magnificent, but even by taking the car to a beach, a field, something with a nice backdrop etc, shows that they've put the effort in, and for me that gets my vote any day, regardless of what the car itself looks like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3246977
Hiro
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Kiwi-Corolla wrote:
In all fairness, aside from this month, I haven't entered the competition since May Razz, and from memory I've only won once or twice in the past, so I don't really think we need to start changing the rules as even though we have repeat entrants we rarely have repeat winners.
I may have been exaggerating slightly Razz
Back to top Go down
Kiwi-Corolla
Site Vendor
Site Vendor
Kiwi-Corolla

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Hiro wrote:
Kiwi-Corolla wrote:
I may have been exaggerating slightly Razz
Just ever so slightly laugh. I do however appreciate the compliment Approve!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3246977
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
gold94corolla

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 am

Kiwi-Corolla wrote:
I do however think that the photo should be judged by how well taken it is, not how appropriate it would be for the site banner or what the Corolla itself looks like. Even the most stock standard Corolla in the world could win ride of the month if they took a well composed, clear photo.
I agree!  This is what I mean by "appropriate for the site banner" lol..... a well-taken photo of an AE101, regardless of mods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car Of The Month - proposed changes?   Car Of The Month - proposed changes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Car Of The Month - proposed changes?
Page 1 of 1